Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tufts Family Genealogy Blog



 

This blog is mostly about the Tufts family in America descended from Peter Tufts who came to Charlestown Massachusetts from England before 1638. I hope to share many great stories of Tufts families and individuals. I also will share things I have found on other Tufts families besides Peter’s many descendants. They include Tufft families from Ireland and other areas of England and those that remain to be discovered. I will also explore the many other families related to the Tufts and share their stories as well. Hopefully this will include the family of my wife (Toland), and Staples, Bakers and Cummings from my mother’s ancestry.

Much of the information I have found on the Tufts comes from the research of Herbert Adams whose work was published by the Tufts Kinsmen Association in 2010 and his earlier edition of Tufts Kinsmen. Other resources will be credited for readers to discover original records. I try to be as thorough as possible in my research and will indicate anything less than fact. I have found that to be accurate, one has to see the original records and verify their accuracy. If errors exist I am always receptive to correction.

I hope people will feel free to comment on my blog and share information with others. If you feel you have a blog idea for me please let me know. There are many stories out there waiting to be shared. I will try and attend this at least once a week, but I know that may be affected by my many other interests.

I am Thomas Tufts. I grew up in Exeter NH and currently reside in Raymond NH. After 30 years of firefighting, I now enjoy my retirement by researching family history, specializing in the military Tufts and my direct ancestors to Peter Tufts, the immigrant. Please enjoy these stories about the Tufts and other families.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Thomas I am a decendent of Peter Tufts from his son James. I find that most Tufts say they are related to either Sonny Tufts the actor...or Charles Tufts who donated the land for the university....Do you know from which son of Peter Tufts each man came down from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa, I can usually track most Tufts ancestral lines and yes, Sonny and Charles are well recorded. If you look at some of the stories and the Tufts Kinsmen book page in the October 2014 folder, you can find out about the book. It can be found in some libraries and most Tufts can be traced in the book. There is a lot about James' line in my soldier stories. Send me an e-ail and I can tell you more. ttuftsy@comcast.net

      Delete
  2. Teresa: According to Wikipedia, both Sonny Tufts and Charles Tufts are descended from Peter Tufts, the patriarch of the family who came from Wilby, Norfolk, England in 1638. Peter Tufts used to operate the Penny Ferry on the Charles River. Charles Tufts, who founded Tufts University, is the great uncle of Sonny Tufts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Tufts). In 1947, my great-grandma Annie Tufts, told my dad, Norm Tufts, that we are related to Sonny Tufts, but to this day we cannot determine how. We live in Ontario, Canada. (Linda Tufts Jonasson)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am a decedent of Peter Tufts. Herbert Adams Was my Father. Tufts is on my mothers side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out the page. Your father did a great job researching the Tufts family.

      Delete